Chilli con Bush – Camping Recipe
We’ve been on many trips, covering tens of thousands of kilometers in Southern Africa and yet, we’ve never written anything about the food we have on our trips.
This post aims to fix that. When we did our Namibian Road Trip we used the opportunity in Etosha to steer away from regular braai and bread (and sometimes salad) and make something wholesome and different, for us.
We’ve always been fans of Chilli con Carne and funy enough, this is a perfect camping meal. It’s easy to prepare, fire-and-forget and gives enough leftovers for the next day.
What you need
- Cast Iron Pot (flat bottom or potjie), although any pot will do
- Spoon for mixing and serving
Chilli con Bush Ingredients
- 500g Minced Meat
- Onion (Optional)
- Cinnamon power, or cinnamon sticks
- Salt & Pepper
- Paprika (smoked is preferable)
- Crushed Garlic, or garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2x cans of peeled and sliced tomatoes
- 1x can red kidney beans
- Bread rolls or rice
Bush Note: We’ve discovered that you can now buy a premade Chilli con Carne dry mix, so if space and weight are an issue, I highly recommend getting this as the taste is just as good!
- Brown the mince meat, onions and garlic
- Add the spices, tomatoes and tomato puree and stir well
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes
- Add the kidney beans, stir them in and cook, covered, for a further 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes
- Eat with your choice of bread or rice. In the bush we tend to use bread, at home we may make some rice.
That’s it; simple, hearty and tasty Chilli con Bush. Feel free to share your favourite camping recipes with us, either here or on our Facebook page.